Saturday, January 24, 2009

I am afraid...

that I am raising two little brats. Does anyone else feel like that?

Of course, I try to teach them right from wrong. I try to teach them not to hit each other, not to be mean to each other, to have respect for other people, their things, and their feelings. But what if I'm not doing good enough?

Lately, and I'm not sure how much of it has to do with our moving, Abby has been acting out. Yesterday I told her to go and stand in the corner because she didn't do something I'd asked. She refused. I got up to give her a quick swat on the behind, at which point she dropped to the floor and started kicking me.

Ok, at this point I admit I completely lost my cool. I first removed her shoes. Brand new shoes that we'd bought the day before at Target and that she is absolutely in love with. I put them in the top of my closet because they became the object of her anger when I took them off. She was in the floor having an all out FIT, so I took her outside. (This is something I've done before, and it has immediately calmed her down. At our house in Del Rio, I would stand her outside the back door in our fenced yard, and close the door. When she was done screaming we would talk.) Well, I took her outside, but she screamed like someone was beating her, banged on the door, etc....until I was afraid that someone would call the cops. I brought her inside and put her on her bed.

It took quite a while for her to calm down, and she stayed in her bed most of the day and was not allowed to play with her toys. I didn't know what to do, and I still don't.

I did make up new chore and behavior charts that are on a point/demerit system. Starting tonight we will count up how many stars or stickers each child has earned and they will earn coins (I haven't decided what denomination to start with) for each. Then, we will count up the number of demerits (red x's) and take away one earned coin for each of those. I am hoping that by seeing how her negative behavior will affect her earnings that she'll work to earn more, and lose less.

I just finished reading "Have a New Kid by Friday" and I want to implement that in our house. However, I'm afraid that her behavior recently is too far past what I learned in that book for it to help right now. I want to have good children, and I believe they ARE good children. I just need to learn how to make THAT part of them the more dominant part. Also, how are we as parents supposed to know when something else is bothering a child? Like, what if she's really upset over the move and not having her friends? What do I do? How do I know what to do?

Man, I wish there was an instruction book.

1 comment:

Mom of these kids said...

Ah...the real joys of parenthood!! How hard it is! I think putting her in her bed was probably the best thing to do. I have heard to make them stay so long, that they get SO bored, that they won't do that behavior again. And, even advice I was given for whining...or acting out that is babyish behavior, saying "Oh, you are so tired, that is why you are acting this way...you need to go lay in your bed." And say it so calmly, so she doesn't know she has gotten to you....but then make her stay there too. How old is she? I have seen mine have a phase in acting out more after they stopped taking naps, but would still have the meltdown in the afternoon from being too tired. It could just be a phase....and adjusting to all things new I am sure is magnifying it.

The only advice I would give is to really just try to promote "big" girl behavior. And let her reward be something for big girls....like a trip alone to the store with mommy, or putting on makeup/painting nails...I don't know...something that would make her excited. Hang in there...

My first Razorback angel...

My first Razorback angel...
Abigail Elizabeth

My second Razorback angel...

My second Razorback angel...
Ethan Eli

My third Razorback angel...

My third Razorback angel...
Sophia Isabelle